Sunday, July 7, 2013

A marriage with a difference


Vinita Chaturvedi, TNN | Feb 26, 2012, 03.17 PM IST

As a kinnar bride and a straight guy gear up to get 'married' today (Feb 26) in Nagpur, we bring you the finer nuances of this bold love story. It's an exclusive...

This could easily be a typical Bollywood potboiler, albeit with a difference. Ismein hero hai, heroine hai, thrills hein, villain hai! But, here the plot takes a 180 degree turn and this action-packed romantic thriller becomes a new-age love story that is poised to write its name on the sands of time. Meet Shabnam (nee Gopal Khawaskar), the bride-to-be, who is a Kinnar (eunuch) and her would-be groom Mukesh, a straight guy. Together, they have decided to say boo to social taboos and now they are getting married on Sunday, February 26. As the two get formally engaged ahead of the wedding, we trace the tale of love...

Love at first sight!
This romance started over six months back, when Shabnam (21) went to visit Mukesh's (22) sister, who was her cousin's friend. "It was love at first sight for both of us. Mukesh asked for my cell number the first time we met. We soon became friends, and it then developed into love," says the bride-to-be. Mukesh, more shy of the two, chips in, "I can't express what I feel for her in words, but I want to protect her from the big, bad world and take care of her forever."

Tough road ahead
Shabnam's guru Kashish, who's the head of a hijra clan, gets emotional while blessing the young couple. "I really pray that my 'girl' stays happy forever in her new life and I want her groom to protect her from all the obstacles in life," says she.

Mukesh admits that both of them have a tough road ahead. "But, I'm ready for all the barbs. Now onwards, I will earn and she will run the home. My family is not attending the wedding on Sunday, but I'm capable of taking care of my responsibilities alone. I know, we will not have our own children, so we can go for adoption later," says he.

'Grooms for my hijras'
The seniormost guru of the clan and 'naani' of the bride-to-be, Seeta Shah, can't hide her happiness. "I want all my hijra kids to find grooms for themselves, so that they are no longer marginalised and alone in this world. This marriage will spread awareness in the society that kinnars are humans too. They have emotions and they need to be loved too. Tomorrow evening, we are organising the haldi ceremony for the couple. And on Sunday evening, the marriage will be solemnised according to Buddhist Rites at the Jhingabai Takli ground in Nagpur. I want to invite common people as well as the entire hijra community for the wedding. Everyone's blessings are needed!

Legally speaking
Agreed, that this bold step will go a long way in releasing the hijras from the shackles of anonymity. But, according to senior High Court lawyer, Navneet Shukul, this marriage is null and void. "The Hindu Marriage Act doesn't recognise such marriages, but no action can be taken against the couple by the police," says he.

source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/people/A-marriage-with-a-difference/articleshow/12043302.cms

6 comments:

  1. Wish you all the best dear sister. Lead a happy life with your beloved husband. Always serve him sincerely and be loved and protected by him. I am one of you, a sister just like you from the community. I am also living with my man. it is a rewarding experience to be a wife of a good man.
    SMITA

    ReplyDelete
  2. mebhi kisi kinnar ya hijra ko apni wifi banana cahta hu mera nambar h.9509520548

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Married life

    ReplyDelete
  4. Koi kinner h Delhi se please msg me fast Mujhe kinner banoge Ap Mujhe saree pehnete Acha lagta h bahut makeup K sath hamesha K liye Mujhe Apna chela Bana le hamesha K liye please msg me fast 8467099464

    ReplyDelete
  5. Koi kinner h Delhi se please msg me fast Mujhe kinner banoge Ap Mujhe saree pehnete Acha lagta h bahut makeup K sath hamesha K liye Mujhe Apna chela Bana le hamesha K liye please msg me fast 8467099464

    ReplyDelete